Daddy Marti's speech

Good evening! Maganda hapon! On this day 34 years ago I experienced one of God’s miracles, that is, the birth of my daughter, Karen. Karen was, as I remember, laughing and smiling most of the time. She was a very happy baby. I’m not surprised that she chose chocolate as her theme. Even as a small child she loved chocolate. She often wore more of it than she actually ate. Maybe that was the beginning of her aspirations to be a make up artist. Unfortunately, my time with her was cut short when she and her mother came back the PI before she was 2 years old.
In 1979 I received a picture of Karen when she was 4 years old and I kept that picture in my wallet for more than 20 years until it started to fall apart at which time I placed her picture on my refrigerator. Every morning as I prepared my breakfast I would say hello and ask her how she was doing. I would tell her I loved her. I worried about her health. I wondered about her education. I asked my self how she is making a living. Will I ever see her again? I wondered if she was married yet.
Then, on July 23, 2004, God must have determined that the time was right for me and gave me another chance. I received a phone call that changed my life. At first I thought I was being called by a telemarketer. “Hello, is this Martin W. Marek” ? Sabe ko, yes….. etc.
I finally got to see Karen when she came back to the States for another tour in September. When I first saw her my heart was pumping so fast that I thought it would explode. I couldn’t believe I was actually holding her in my arms again. What a joy to see how beautiful she really was. I couldn’t believe how humble and down to earth she was. Is this really my child?
For the next four years we talked on the phone, texted each other and spent a lot of time sending emails getting to know each other again. During this time she told me about her boyfriend, Ariel. In pictures that she sent to me in emails I could see that he was a good looking man and that they made a handsome couple. She also sent me pictures of him with the kids. It looked like he was really enjoying their company. But it wasn’t until I arrived here and finally met him that I could really determine whether he was right for Karen. It didn’t take long for me to see that they are really made for each other.
His love and respect for Karen is without a doubt. He is very much a gentleman. He treats Prince and Winona as if they were his children, with love and understanding. His soft spoken ways make it easy to see why Karen is so much in love with him. I have also had the opportunity to meet Karen and Ariel’s friends since I arrived. You can tell a lot about a person by the company he or she keeps. I would feel very lucky to have such good friends. I’ve also had the chance to meet with many of Karen’s closest relatives. You all have been so kind to me; it makes me feel good to know that I now have such a wonderful extended family.
Since Karen is my only child, it will great to have Ariel as my son-in-law. I don’t think I could have chosen a better person myself. He will like a son I never had. I am really going to enjoy my life even more now that he is a part of it. So, it is with great pleasure and no reservations that I gave my blessings to Karen and Ariel. I never thought that I would get the chance to walk Karen down the aisle but here I am. God is good. God is great. May God be with you always. Good luck in your lives together. I love you all very much!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen, I am so blessed with the testimony of your DAD, how he always thought of you since you were a kid.Who would think that after 28 years, your dad would still remember your name? Your life story is a blessing to us. The Lord really made you experience His love before He let the two of you meet.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete